Friday, October 12, 2012

Jelly Fish Stuffie


MAKE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE PATTERN BEFORE STARTING (ESPECIALLY THE ASSEMBLY PART). IT WILL GIVE YOU A BETTER IDEA OF HOW TO MAKE THE WHOLE THING.

*The stitches used in this pattern are beginner stitches but a little bit of experience is needed to assemble the pieces*

Supplies:
-H hook or any size you desire for the size of the finished project
-Red Heart Yarn (Great for using up scraps!)
-Stuffing
-Yarn Needle

Abbreviations Used:
Sl st- slip stitch
St- stitch
Sc- single crochet
Dec- decrease (or single crochet two stitches together)
Hdc- half double crochet
Dc- double crochet

Body:
-Chain 4, sl st to form ring
Round 1: 6 sc in ring (6)
Round 2: 2 sc in each st (12)
Round 3: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next st, cont around (18)
Round 4: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 2 st, cont around (24)
Round 5: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 3 st, cont around (30)
Round 6: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 4 st, cont around (36)
Round 7: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 5 st, cont around (42)
Round 8: 2 sc in first st, 1 sc in next 6 st, cont around (48)
Rounds 9-13: sc around (48)
Round 14: dec across first 2 st, sc in next 5 st, cont around (42)
Round 15: dec across first 2 st, sc in next 4 st, cont around (36)
Round 16: dec across first 2 st, sc in next 3 st, cont around (30)
Round 17: dec across first 2 st, sc in next 2 st, cont around (24)
Round 18: dec across first 2 st, sc in next 1 st, cont around (18)
Round 19: dec across first 2 st, cont around until 2-3 st are left, tie off.

-Add 2 eyes in the shape of “X”.
-Add smile between two eyes.

Medium Tentacle (make 4):
-Chain 50
-Sc in first 2 st
-2 hdc in each remaining st

Large Tentacle (make 4):
-Chain 75
-Sc in first 2 st
-2 hdc in each remaining st

Ruffle Skirt:
-Attach yarn and chain 3
-3 dc in same space as attached yarn
-4 dc in every other stitch around to make ruffle.
-Connect to top of chain 3 at beginning. Tie off.

(NOTE (for right handed crocheters): Each row is worked in the opposite direction of the row before it in order to get a “wavy” look. So after your first set of 4 dc’s and your last dc is on the “left” side of the stitches, you turn your work so now your last dc and needle are on the “right” side and then you make the four dc’s going towards the left about two stitches down (or towards you). The need to make this skirt perfectly straight around is not necessary. Mine was not perfect and it gave it more of a wavy, ruffle look at the end.)

Assembly:
-Sew all 8 tentacles onto the body of jelly fish prior to finishing the body.
-Make the skirt above the tentacles.
-Sew eyes and smile next.
-Stuff jelly fish as much as possible.
-Finish body of jelly fish (the end of the jelly fish will be at the top of its head, so it’s important to make your stitches pretty because they will be visible). 

(NOTE: I stopped working on the body when there were about 18 stitches left. Once I sewed all the pieces on and stuffed the majority of the body, I continued with the body pattern until there were about 4 stitches left. I finished stuffing the body as best I could and then finished crocheting the jelly fish!)

This is my second pattern I have ever released. If you have any questions please ask! Comments and feedback are always appreciated! XOXO

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Melissa!
    Your Grandma would be proud of you!
    I'm trying to download your really cute Jenna headband pattern and I can't!
    :(
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks!
    patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! That is very sweet.

      I don't have the Jenna Headband pattern set up as a download, just the whole pattern is typed in the blog post. You can find it here... http://sadiesbasket.blogspot.com/2012/10/cable-stitch-jenna-headband-pattern.html

      Thanks for your support!

      Delete
    2. My Nanny taught me to crochet, too, and she was soo proud of me and all my crochet projects!! :)
      So, here's the deal: I can't see the blog post at all - just the title of the blog post. I can see this post, obviously. But not the other post.
      ????

      Delete
    3. Hmm that's weird. I don't know why it would be doing that. Others have linked to it through Pinterest and left comments so I know it's there somewhere :) Try going here... http://sadiesbasket.blogspot.com/ and then scrolling down and clicking on the title to get to the actually blog post? Let me know if that works or if we need to figure something out.

      Delete
    4. No can do. It's like the blog only has the one post with this jelly fish stuffie!

      Delete
    5. Bummer. I don't know why. I can email it to you privately if you want? It's too great of a pattern to pass up!

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa, I'm having the same problem :/ Love the pattern can you please email it to me?? Turtleflies627@gmail.com I would really appreciate it!!! It is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, I'm having the same problem. Could you please email it to me? ueding@huntel.net Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried both ways to get the pattern and it still won't work. Could you email me a copy? Thanks so much, Loretta
    bsktretta@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,
    I deleted my email address. I'll keep an eye out for your next pattern!
    Thanks for the email!
    PS All I can see on your entire blog is the octopus pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made another blog post with the "Jenna" headband pattern. Can anyone see that one now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa. Congrats on the really creative stuff. I am also looking forward to trying out the headband. Would it be possible to get the pattern via email? ramlal.alana@gmail.com thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete